10 signs You Have A Greek Mother
As a native Greek girl, who has spent most of my life living in Greece, plus having a Greek mother of my own, I can spot one from miles away. The Greek Mother has become a symbol of Greek modern society and it has been addressed with many qualities. Funny and rare. And I’m going to introduce them to you right away.
1. The most popular joke, that happens to be 100% true, about Greek Mothers is the “Take your coat you’re gonna be cold!”. No matter if it’s a summer breeze or a warm wind coming from Africa, she’s always worried about her children getting cold and covers them with many layers of clothes, making the “onion effect”, as we like to call it.
2. Moreover, she is much worried about her children’s nutrition and always feeding them up with homemade, traditional food, even when they are overweight or obese. She is telling herself and others, that they are going to get tall and all these pounds of extra fat is magically going to be transformed into height (by the way Greek people aren’t particularly tall).
3. In addition to this, when her teenagers, or young adult children leave home to study in another city, she always sends delicious food in Tupperware parcels, which is one of her favorite things.
4. Furthermore, she is the best cook EVER! No wonder why we were all chubby when we were young. She cooks these amazing kinds of food like musaka, pasticcio, dolmades, tzatziki, hortopita and basically every kind of traditional Greek food, which is absolutely yummy and is served in the most caring and warm way together with fresh, daily bread and feta cheese.
5. She is the best host in family gatherings and tries to apologize for possible failure, even though everything is perfect and carefully plans the whole evening trying to please everyone, by not sitting in her chair even one minute, being the maid and the hostess at the same time.
6. And when it comes to dinner she is taking care of everything by herself. She doesn’t really want other people to interfere due to not to spoil her plans and the precise arrangements, like how is everyone going to sit and how the meals are going to be served. (The meat loafs are going in the middle of the table and the salads have to be spread all around).
7. What is more, SHE IS A CLEAN FREAK! Greek mother’s worst nightmare is dust and her unspeakable enemies are dirty clothes and dishes. She spends a significant amount of time every day cleaning the house and her family’s things (even if they beg her to stop), until every flat surface is and neat and shiny.
8. She also breaks all the rules of privacy when it comes to cleaning. She breaks into her teenagers’ rooms and madly vacuums every single spot of it, even if it’s 8 a.m. on a Saturday.
9. For some unexplained reason she refuses to admit that her children have grown up and always shows them how to do things, or gives pretty basic advice for things you know since you were 10, like how to remove the toast bread from the toaster without getting your fingers burnt, or which haircut suits you better.
10. Last, but not least, she values family more than anything and tries her best to keep it together despite all the differences and fights that come up from time to time. She also provides this feeling of security that you can always depend on, no matter what and dresses you with her endless love.
As it was first published on Thought Catalog.